Friday, March 11, 2011

What makes a person outstanding?

(A Response delivered by JINNAH MAE CATONG VILLANUEVA on March 11, 2011 at the Social and Cultural Hall, Department of Education as the Most Outstanding Elementary Pupil of Iloilo for Academic Year 2010-2011)



What makes a person outstanding? What qualifies one to be regarded as outstanding?

Medals, trophies, certificates, ribbons, and never- ending list of awards and recognitions maybe one’s basis for regarding one as outstanding but for me, it is not.

An outstanding person is someone who was able to battle every war that has befallen in his life; was able to surpass every trial and testing that has beset him; and was able to overcome every obstacle that has come his way.

As a child, dealing with all these experiences is no joke. The feeling of being disliked; of being unwanted; of being detested by some people around you is something that is too heavy to carry for a 13 year old like me. I wanted to cry. I wanted to give up. I almost lost hope.

But then, a tiny voice whispered to me, “God will make a way where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, God will make a way, God will make a way.”

The words helped me to become strong. I said to myself, “ I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”

From that day on, I did everything with confidence and trust in the Lord for I know that once you commit your ways unto the Lord, your plans will succeed.

This recognition given to me by the Outstanding Circle of Iloilo is something to be thanked for.

To my parents, thank you very much for your endless support, love and concern;

To my sisters and relatives, thank you for your words of encouragement;

To my teachers, thank you for your guidance and patience in teaching me the things that I have to learn;

To my friends, thank you for cheering me up in times when I was down;

To my principal, Ms. Elizabeth L. Orquiola, thank you for providing me opportunities where I can grow as a student;

To the organizers of the Outstanding Student Circle of Iloilo, thank you for opening doors for us to meet new friends and to excel in our endeavors;

And above all, I would like to thank God for this blessing and would like to give all the honor and glory to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who gave me strength every step of the way.

Before I end this speech, let me share with you the lyrics of the song “Rejoice in the Lord”

“ God never moves without purpose or plan
When trying His servants and molding a man
Give thanks to the Lord though your testing seems long
In darkness He giveth a song

I could not see through the shadows ahead
So I looked at the cross of my Savior instead
I bowed to the will of the Master that day
Then peace came and tears shed away

Now I can see testing from above
God strengthens His children and purges in love
My father knows best, anf I trust in His care
Through purging more fruit I will bear

O Rejoice in the Lord
He makes no mistakes
He knoweth the end of each battle I take
For when I am freed
And purified
I shall come forth as gold.


To my fellow outstanding students, never fallen in times of failure. Never surrender when faced with troubles……. Look up and whisper a prayer to Him . God promised that He will never leave us nor forsake us. Good afternoon to everyone and to God be the glory. @

No comments:

Followers