Sunday, March 18, 2012

An Epic Cram

by: Rey Philip J. Gallos, Most Outstanding Secondary School Student of Iloilo for AY 2011-2012

To the organizers of this activity, members of the Outstanding Students Circle of Iloilo, my fellow awardees, teachers, friends, and guests, a pleasant afternoon! If there's one thing high school has made me realize, it's that nothing in this world is impossible. Back in my elementary days, I only dreamed about being half the person high school has molded me to be and now here I am, on this stage. Until now, the very thought that I was chosen as the Most Outstanding Secondary School Student hasn't even sunk in yet. To tell you the truth ladies and gentlemen, the MOSSS...is just a title; but the thing that makes it so special, so beautiful, is the fact that it takes a person four years of determination, hard work, patience, sleepless nights, sacrifices, and passion to get it. Not only that, a person would have to surpass three filters - the portfolio, the written exam, and the interview to earn it. What made it even more challenging for me, however, was the fact that I had to go through these three stages of evaluation cramming. When I was compiling the certificates as well as the needed information for the portfolio, I had several outputs and long tests the next day, so you guys would imagine the night of beauty sleep I had to give up to join this contest. Of course, I was extremely surprised when the committee informed me that I qualified. Next came the written exam - January 20, 2012, on the same day the Metrobank Math Challenge or MTAP written exam was held. I was the school's contestant so I had to take both exams. Talk about cramming! After taking the 2-hour exam, my math adviser called to ask where I was, so I ran all the way to INHS from St. Clement's to take the MTAP exam for another 2 hours. I arrived physically and mentally exhausted but still, I strived hard to do well on both exams. Again, you don't know how surprised I was that I qualified for the interview. The interview - February 15, 2012. I thought nothing would interfere, but guess what, ladies and gentlemen, our prom had been scheduled on the 16th and the MTAP Division Team Finals on the 17th. After the interview, I ran all the way to school to practice for the program the next day and review for the MTAP on the day after. This, my friends, is why it gives me such joy to receive the award...because I had to go through thick and thin to get it. By the way, ladies and gentlemen, today is the awarding ceremony of the Top Outstanding Elementary School Pupils and the Top Outstanding Secondary School Students, obviously. This morning, I came from INHS because I joined the MTAP Regional Finals. If there's one phrase I could use to describe the entirety of my TOSSS experience, it would be "epic cram". It's just like a cram, but epic. But seriously, anyone can accomplish anything despite the endless work and the obstacles as long as they have the determination and the perseverance to do so. I would always hear my classmates complain about school work, about never having breaks, about the never-ending projects...but if they could only feel what it's like to be Rey Philip Gallos for a day, they would definitely realize how free their schedule is. High school has been extremely torrential. The cramming, the pressure, the stress, but looking at the brighter side, we see friendships, free periods, laughter, you know...the little things. It is the aggregate of these little things that altogether make the beauty of the high school experience. The same is true about success. It is the combination of the traits we possess that create the success we deserve. If we want to make it out in this world as winners, we have to radiate positive energy despite all the negativity and pessimism. Through observation, however, most teenagers lack the hope and motivation as well as the resiliency to do so. The technological advances have crippled most of us to a carefree lifestyle which is why I'm really happy to see all my fellow awardees right now who serve as examples that despite the flow of the status quo, we stand firmly, clutching the values of hard work and perseverance in the hope that someday bringing honor and pride to ourselves, our school, and the nation as well. Even right now, we've taken the first step in doing so. By being examples of brilliance, we show that there is hope for the country and that there are still individuals who aim to excel and who strive to be virtues. You know, I'm very happy that the OSCI exists to give praise to these...endangered species, and to show to the world these people who might someday make their marks in history as individuals who changed the world with their vision, values, and integrity. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Iloilo National High School - Special Science Class, the faculty and staff, for imbuing me with such idealism. They've become a vessel for me to start the reform for change. I'd also like to thank the OSCI for seeing me fit for this extremely high honor. Also to my parents who never ceased to make a way for me to continue my education and for supporting me all the way. The parents and teachers who have molded these young faces to be the pride of their schools and of the community. And most of all, to God Almighty for always being there as a guide who helped me through it all. To Him, I am eternally grateful.



I leave you with the words of Larry Bird. "A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." To the younger generation, especially to our elementary awardees, I hope you guys realize that there's more to you than you think. I hope you realize your talents and use these to improve yourselves, the country, and maybe even the world. Once again, thank you everyone and good day! @

No comments:

Followers