Thursday, March 20, 2008

'Seeing the Future' by Jo Jan Paul Peñol


Leaders of the Outstanding Students Circle of Iloilo, Department of Education Officials, guests, fellow awardees, friends, colleagues, Ladies and Gentlemen, a pleasant afternoon.

I know that all of us here are all outstanding students and leaders who have excelled in academic pursuits and Co-curricular activities. Obviously, people around here are all very smart, very intelligent and very deserving of the award as Outstanding Students and Pupils of Iloilo. For this, let us give ourselves a round of applause.

First, allow me to give you a glimpse of who I am and my convictions.

On a clear night, the stars seem so close that all we have to do is stand on our tip toes to touch them.. Yet, from an early age, my parents insisted that the stars were very far away. In fact, the light I saw took years and years to reach Earth. So, when I looked up, I saw the past.

But I am a child of Apollo and the space age, and when I looked up, I knew I was seeing the future. As the Russian leader said, "Dependence is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."

I know it will take more than standing on my tip toes to reach the stars. It will take new and powerful rockets. It will take money, I hope not as much as I think. For me, however, what is really required to reach the stars is someone who wants to reach them.

And thanks to the Outstanding Students Circle of Iloilo, I now have an even greater opportunity to share my love of leadership to work with young people not just because of this award which was a huge surprise for me.

The Search for Ten Outstanding Secondary Students of Iloilo wasn't easy, but it was fun and challenging. The main challenge was that I had to strive more so that I can give honor and prestige not only for myself, but for the excellence of our school and the nation in general.

I owe the success of my life as a high school student to my family especially my parents and to Pavia National High School and the teachers who prepared me to take advantage of every opportunity and then urged me to keep going.

Every one of you has a unique set of experiences and knowledge to share. Your words or strategies could be just the information or inspiration that a student needs to climb out of the cradles in their life.

I am very much happy to say, that my life seems to revolve around as a prominent figure at school. I let myself learn to love the trophies, the medals, the plaques, and the certificates over and over again. The things about the genuine contentment, confidence, and optimism were light years away, a diffused blaze compared to the vivacity of awards. When people start talking about exact joy and the blah-blah-blahs that goes with it, I keep myself strong and flexible as compared to a bamboo. I must be humble.

When there were student and youth camps, congresses and conferences, I was sometimes chosen as Guest Speaker. I asked myself, “There are many leaders who can be a good speaker. Why me?” The teacher replied, “It is in YOU; just believe on your capacity as a leader, you can do it!” Such statement served as a big inspiration and a challenge to me as a young student leader to speak in public, to impart my knowledge and experiences.

As young as I am, I became the President of the Philippine Society of Youth Science Clubs Inc. and Youth for Environment in Schools Organization (YES-O). Because I was elected into position, I worked for my duty and put efforts to satisfy people. However, I cannot please everybody. That served as my bases in striving harder to attain excellence.

Sometimes, I wasn’t able to attend classes because of activities. But, with the help of God whom I always lean on, I was able to cope with all the lessons I haven’t attended. For these, I want to thank my ever-supportive classmates and schoolmates for being there for me always. Further, I also like to express my heartfelt gratitude to my parents. All awards I received were made possible because of their patient love and loving patience. To the Pavia National High School family especially to our past and present principals, Miss Nilda M. Lago and Mrs. Leonisa J. Simba respectively, my maximum appreciation and respect to you. PNHS has been good to me since my first year, opening a lot of doors to success. My coach, Miss Julieta Jancilan, who never failed to foresee what it takes to win the contest, a very big thank you.

Finally, I would like to embark upon you a more philosophical question.. I have asked you who you are and what you represent, but an equally important question is why you are here.

In other words, ladies and gentlemen, our future for better or for worse is in our hands. It is my firm belief that our future is bright. We are in capable hands and we must not disappoint our fellow achievers. Let us live up to their expectations and to God’s eyes.

Lastly if you have been asleep during my speech, it is perfectly alright. After all, I don't really want you to wake up too early from your dreams.

Just believe that “We can make a difference.” OSCI, “ang dakilang samahan.” @

No comments:

Followers